Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Instrumentalism

Question: Describe about the instrumentalism. Answer: Psychologist Dan Ariel researches about human demeanor. He states that human behavior possesses discrepancies that change their decision-making technique. He says that dishonesty is like disease and that is why it should be prevented or else the act will continue to repeat itself. I think dishonesty is an inferior act that should be stopped before it aggrandizes. I also think that dishonesty is self destructive by nature. In my college days, I was poor in mathematics but my mathematics teacher threatened me that if I do not attain B grade in mathematics he will cancel my name from basketball team. He gave me an assignment and in order to pass i approached my friend to complete the assignment for me. He was very brilliant and did the project meticulously. My mathematics teacher was very impressed with my performance and told me that I should enter my name in state level competition. Thus, I was a victim of the slippery slope phenomenon. I had a friend who used to work in a store. Every day he used to steal little amount of money from the cash counter. The amount he used to steal was so negligent that no one noticed. However, his greed increased and one day he ended up stealing the whole collection of that day. The manager of the store drove him out when my friend tried to apologize for his act. The famous whistleblower of the financial fraud case justifiably remarked that people do not become criminal in a day. However, unfavorable circumstances drive people to commit crime. Sometimes, extreme desires and unattainable objectives compel people to slide down the slippery slope (Volokh 2013). I think the statement is true because people are slave of circumstances. Pressure of certain situation force people takes drastic actions. A person should be careful while taking any decision. They should not set any unattainable goals for themselves. Slippery of slope can be prevented by avoiding greed. References: Shover, N., Hochstetler, A. and Alalehto, T., 2013. Choosing white-collar crime.The oxford handbook of criminological theory. Smith, B.L., Snow, D.A., Fitzpatrick, K., Damphousse, K.R., Roberts, P., Tan, A., Brooks, A. and Klein, B., 2016. Identity and Framing Theory, Precursor Activity, and the Radicalization Process. Solum, L.B., 2013. Legal Theory Lexicon 043: Formalism and Instrumentalism.Available at SSRN 2367953. Stephens, J. and McCallum, R., 2013.Retelling stories, framing culture: traditional story and metanarratives in children's literature. Routledge. Volokh, E., 2013. Slippery Slope Arguments.The International Encyclopedia of Ethics.

No comments:

Post a Comment